Friday, August 26, 2011

Crackhead

Howdy from the land of small increases and upcoming rat killings!

One week from now my good buddy Putt's daughter is getting married (a rat killing in hick terms)and yours truly is doing the cooking on The Cowboy Commissary pit.I'll see about posting a pic. I am getting excited.I plan on making the bridal party a Peach Cobbler in the dutch oven as a surprise.

I have been making small increases to my calorie burning routine. Today I think I will ride 5 miles at lunch instead of 3.The bike riding has been helping quite a good bit.I am hoping starting next week I can increase every 3-4 days until I am back where I was before the repair work.

Yesterday I was visiting with a co-worker that had a gastric band put in her, the same time I had my knee replaced. She is losing a good bit of weight and is real happy with the outcome. I mentioned some of the problems I have at times making good choices with food and she said "You know Bill food is our CRACK".I guess to varying degrees that is correct. I read as much as I can about food addictions and I believe there is a reason(s) I crave sugar and carbs.

Now I have said before I am no doctor or a scientist and if you read enough you can find any study and outcome you want.I tend to think on a simpler level.I think we are a product of our raising. What we are trained to do as a child carries us along throughout our lives.I was trained as a child to eat everything and clean up my plate. Sugar of any kind was a reward and something special. It still is---training accomplished.

I also tend to believe that some cravings are brought on by mineral and supplemental deficiencies.We are after all just another animal on this planet.All animals seek out minerals and supplements their bodies need.

Finally, the main difference between us FOLKS and the rest of the animal kingdom is our ability to think and reason---which gets us into all kinds of fun and trouble.If you think I am wrong, show me one animal that is a crackhead---on any drug. In the animal world this just does not happen on a routine basis.

Now I know there are some real smart people out there that have spent years researching this problem.The solution is simple Eat Less Move More. The problem is, as an individual I have to find a method that will work for a life time , being I am a Crackhead.

Pearl of Wisdom from the Mind of WEL
Look up at the sky, quit looking at the dirt, you'll feel it when you step in the manure.

4 comments:

  1. Yup, because of our intelligence, humans invented stupid!

    Whether habit or addiction the answer is the same, retrain the brain with consistent behaviors. This is just as true for eating as for exercise. I recommend cold turkey with healthy eating until the new habits are established. Then one can see what they can add back. If you always eat too much fat, surgery, and salty food even occasionally in the transition period the habit/addiction is never extinguished. Why do you think most people fail? It's hard to establish new habits. The key is to find what helps you do that, not to say, I need to eat better and exercise more. Concrete habit building behaviors are the pathway.

    Oh, I take paypal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr.J
    I agree with you.I habit is a habit & a habit I can break.

    Paypal my ass---were on the barter system around here---LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. westwood,
    thanks simple in concept, harder in reality

    ReplyDelete