Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The trouble with weight loss

Howdy from the land of camp fires and hunting desires!

I read an article written by Barbara Berkeley on REFUSETOGAIN.TYPEPAD.COM and it really hit home with me. She was talking about tennis and weight loss. She said she has the habit , playing tennis, to make a really good shot and then just stand there and watch her opponent return the ball.She calls it "admiring the ball". Instead of getting ready for the return she just admires her shot and then falls prey to the return volley.

She said her weight loss has been that way also. She will lose a pant size and then glow in that accomplishment until she gains a few pounds back.

Now I can relate to that problem. It is easy to say, man I have done good, I am down 5 pounds and now I can relax a little.The problem with that mind set is I feel like as long as I am cutting calories and then "admiring the ball" I have not had enough personal growth to truly have changed my eating habits.

I know it took a long time to get to 305 pounds .It took years, decades really , of bad eating habits. And ,yes , my habits are a whole lot better than they were.But I can not help but wonder if the habit of admiring the ball will forever be laying right under the surface ready to return the volley.

For now , I will have to be content with planning, positive thinking, patience,and perseverance.

The journey continues, the road is long and narrow,it is full of pot holes, there are many detours but the destination is well worth the drive..

Oh yea, today only four of us were on the track at lunch----drizzling rain, 40 degrees----at was a blast, but my old man fingers did get cold.

Pearl of Wisdom from the mind of WEL
You are getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair as you used to get from a roller coaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment