Friday, May 13, 2011

A chapter closes




We got him in the winter, a yellow ball of fur
He cried the first night he came home,so he got to sleep with her

Janet watched for a day or two saying "Hoppy is his name'
I watched him jump and eat and poop saying 'He is a dog just the same"

From a small pup to a man size brute his sole goal was to please
He would run and fetch and drag the water hose, to him it was a tease

He grew up and attached himself to everyone he met
He loved to ride, to go to town, he even loved the vet

He was always happy although he knew when he was bad
For when I left him without a glance he would go chew my shoes a tad

When you came home he was at the gate in his mouth a leaf,a twig or stick
He would beg to get the paper, to throw the cans away, he so loved to learn a trick

They say every boy should have a good dog to play with and hold
Of all the many dogs I've raised and touched this one was made of gold

He was happy and ready to please even in the end and Hoppy was his name
I've had a lot of dogs in life but he was a rare treat just the same


HOPPY RIP 5-10-2011

Pearl of Wisdom from the Mind of WEL
Love

2 comments:

  1. I've seen dogs in a lot of ways in my journey. From that first puppy that may have been the strongest love I've ever felt, to battling a pack of wild Pitbulls bent on killing me, though country justice won me that war. My own dogs have all been good ones, yet a great one is a rare treasure, perhaps I've had one. You and Janet have been lucky to have had a great one, Bill, ahd Hoppy to have found your home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much.I have been fortunate to have had 3 outstanding dogs for companions in my life and a whole pot slew of turd makers.I have never seen one so passionate about pleasing everyone around him.Nor have I had one effect me he way he did.
    We just got to look at the fact that Hoppy had 4 1/2 years to train us.

    ReplyDelete