Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Cowboy Bill's Traveling Grill


Howdy from the land of "we got a rain" and weird dreams!

I have been working on a BBQ pit for a few weeks.When I say a BBQ pit, I mean a real one.I have built dozens of them for fun and money and I have dreamed of getting the final version for Old Bill.This one should hold enough meat for 400 people or so.

I am 98% done with it and Janet and I burnt it out Sunday. I test run it this weekend.When it is all trimmed out it will have wagon bows over it and a tarp , similar to a covered wagon. I will be able to put the kettles under the tarp when cooking. It of course is mobile so I can GO ON THE ROAD!

For those of you that don't know I like to cook. I cook real country food, no fillers no fluff.As the man said, give me sourdough,beef steak and beans.Peach cobbler in a dutch oven is a rarely good treat also.However, just so you don't think I am a total country bumkin, I will have you know I cook other stuff as well---paella for example.

I am building this rig with the goal of cooking for weddings, reunions and your basic "let's have a pacunga".I do like to feed a big group.

Now, you might think that for someone that has been walking down a Fat Loss Road for the better part of 3 years building a cooking rig might not be the best thing.I would say you are wrong. Good food is not what made me morbidly obese. Eating too much and not moving nearly enough is what made me morbidly obese.I would submit that my rig may be good therapy. Kinda like the alcoholic owning a bar.

The knowledge I have gained the past three years has shown me where some of my biggest problems in food have been.Mindless grazing,pigging out on sugar and portion size are just three real challenges I have learned a little about.

Now I can cook for 30 family and friends in the wet back shack in the back yard, and whip up a peach cobbler and never eat any of it---AND---not even miss it!Now I call that making progress.

When the Cowboy Commissary is trimmed out I post a pic of it.After that Have Grill will Travel!!

Sourdough,beef steak and beans----UMMMM!

Pearl of Wisdom from the Mind of WEL
Ya got to eat something, might as well eat well.

4 comments:

  1. Feeding such a big group is so ambitious! Impressive. And I would have no idea how to use that thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y'all come on down with the grill for tail-gating at a Gator game, Bill, and we will be in high cotton!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Westwood, Thanks, nothing to it really just a bigger pot and more beans.I used to run a BBQ that fed 3500 plates in 3 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr.J,
    sounds like a plan, draw me a map, a country boy might get lost with all that water ya'll got.

    ReplyDelete