Monday, October 5, 2009

I ain't dear Abby-but

Howdy from the land of washed out gravel roads and rain frogs singing a song!!

Yep , we had more rain this weekend. Sunday morning it rained like a cow pissing on a flat rock. The rain frogs are all happy and singing--more rain--more rain!Let er fall I ain't scared.

It is always thrilling to me when I check my little blog and see someone left me a comment. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.I never thought anyone much would read my writing.Over the weekend I had a comment that asked me a couple of questions.I thought about just answering the comment with a comment. Then after giving it some thought and asking for some advice from my technical advisor (Janet) I feel it might be better to write a post about it.

I am not going to duplicate the whole comment, you can go read the entire thing, but I want to address several points in the text.

First,Quiltblue says it is miraculous that I have lost so much weight with pure determination.It is and it isn't----yes I have lost a goodly amount of fat, I have a long ways to go yet. But I did not accomplish this thru pure determination. I do not think I have any more determination or will power than the next person. I think I am willing to walk down my fat loss road because to stay in the place I was in OR the place I am in now is worse than the effort to move down the road.Along with my will power or determination I had to have EDUCATION , PLANNING , and the SUPPORT of others. I read and re-read books and blogs that made sense to me, that fit my life style and that I felt "fitted" me.I planned , I wrote down goals ( achievable ), I had a short term goal(this month) and a longer term goal (maybe 6 months). All of my goals have been continuously developing and expanding.I had support of my wife and my kids and literally hundreds of weight loss bloggers that I have never meet but are in the same struggle I am in. Some of these folks I can relate to a great deal , some not so much, but all are important to my journey.

Quiltblue also made note of my "comedic side" and asks if it helps me in my ability to lose weight.No , not in my ability.Some folks say I'm funny , some folks say I'm weird, me I guess I try to see the humor in life. I think we all take ourselves way to seriously. I mean crap we are around for what 75 years and then we die. And the world keeps turning.I find humor as often as I can partly to deal with my demons, my way.Partly, I find that as a species Humans are just screwed up and funny to watch. No other animal eats themselves into morbid obesity just because "it feels good or I deserve it".

Quiltblue asks if I have any advise.

On 2-5-09 I started blogging and I said then that I would not give others advise, I don't think I am qualified.I will only tell you #1 each one of us has to find their own path #2 what path I chose and how it worked.

I started by luck----I came across WWW.mrlowbodyfat.com which lead me to Dr.Ellis' book Ultimate Diet Secrets Light. I read and re-read these. I also found www.ihavebones.com , www.theantijared.blog and dozens of others. All of these are success stories, all worth reading and important to me.I wrote down and still write down everything I eat and how many calories it has in it.I found the Caltrac devise that computes my calorie burn. So now I know both my intake and my output.

I started walking, then after several months started doing Body Weight Exercises. And I rushed it and hurt my back and hips.I then planned a better plan and started gradually getting stronger.

I weigh twice each day, I measured myself, I looked at myself naked from every angle and I was disgusted. I continue this self evaluation today.

I wrote down my goals. I had short term goals (this month) and longer term goals. But I did not have a goal of say to lose 100 pounds, because honestly I did not have that kind of confidence to start with. My small successes have fueled more goals and more successes.

I started blogging about my Journey , and thanks are due to Janet and Muata (from mrlowbodyfat) for getting me started. I has helped a bunch. I have learned a huge amount about myself and my relationship with food.

I have learned I am addicted to sugar, I deal with it.

I have learned I have control of my body, always did. I was not morbidly obese because of my genes, not because of grandma's cooking, not because I was lazy. It was because I took in more than put out. The Energy Equation is the Golden Rule.

Most important thing to me is----do I want to stay here as I am or move farther down the fat loss road?---I moving.Why? because I can , I have control, it is up to me not my wife not my doctor not anyone but me.

Well, this post is kinda long but I think it was worth saying. I hope this helps not only Quiltblue but anyone else reading it.If you are in my situation, please start your journey, it is worth the effort.You are worth the effort, I know , I am and if I am you are-----start today not tomorrow----tomorrow is the fat mans friend.

Pearl of Wisdom from the mind of WEL
The biggest trouble maker you'll ever have to deal with, watches you in the mirror every morning.

4 comments:

  1. I am so thrilled that I got a response to my comment to you Pearls of Wisdom. Last night I dragged my ellipical in from my outside storage room. I shouldn't have done that because the thing is very heavy and I sure could have hurt myself, but when I get something like that in my head I just can't let it go. I am hoping that getting the elliptical out is step two because yesterday I tried to eat better, I hate that word "diet".

    I am pretty well read and know what I should eat. But, I do think that I eat emotionally to comfort me. On a really stressful day at work I will just tell myself before I leave, "I am getting ice cream on the way home!"

    I don't have a support system. Maybe blogging will help. I will check out the sites you mention. I know of a plan I can go on that is really not that difficult after one gets started. I did it several years ago and lost 45 lbs. but I gained back 65 over the few years since I quit following it. I don't want to make excuses, but I have some physical and emotional problems and take some medications that might be interfering with my inability to maintain my weight. I know I can overcome all of this if I just get started and keep going forever. When I lot the 45 pounds before I felt like a new person, but when I look at pictures from that time I still look fat because had about 60 more I needed to lose. I looked better, but not good. Do you know what you mean. Now I have more to lose.

    I have gotten to the point that I don't want to go around people who used to know me when I was younger because I know when I leave they will all be saying, "She looks horrible, doesn't she?' Or "...and she has such a pretty face..." Well, maybe not anymore.

    You are very talented with words and I you are a kind of Dear Abby. You give people encouragement. I pray I can get up in the mornings and get on that elliptical again at least five days a week. I have some weights at home, just need to get a new bench. My shoulders are kind of bad especially my right shoulder and it hurts after I do some free weights exercises. Weights were a big part of my other weight loss previously.

    Thanks for commenting and thanks for listening. It has been raining like cats and dogs here too. I saw a huge bull frog the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment.I try and lose fat , like one shoots doves----one at a time. If I try to shoot ALL of them, it is over whelming and I wind up missing. So I don't try to lose ALL the fat I need to at one time. I lose ONE pound and move to the next pound.

    I don't DIET and I don't workout or excerise-----I eat smarter and I practice----that is much more positive in nature.

    See ya down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are keeping on keeping on!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dr.J, I got to----stopping now scares me too much. Besides, i want to go get me a Mrlowbodyfat tee shirt one day---LOL

    A Cowboy from Texas

    ReplyDelete