Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Fear of failure?

Howdy from the land of sandhill cranes and baby bluebonnets!

If you know me and read my little blog , you might recognize that I use friends and folks as inspiration on this rag sheet.Well, today one of the ladies in the office told me she brought walking clothes and intends on walking with me at lunch. Man that is great.

I told her I can't wait for lunch and asked her if she told the others in the office. She said no, I don't want them to laugh at me. So in my ever so tactful way, I said "if they laugh, I'd tell them to kiss a fat man's ass".

Well, she said she was afraid of failure and she felt like she would walk today, then not tomorrow and walk again Thursday, etc,etc.

This got me to thinking about myself and all the fears I have had along this road I am on.I ,too, have feared that I would not succeed in losing fat. I feared people laughing at me and feared those kind friends that would tell me I could not lose weight. I even cringed when folks would laugh at the way I looked with my head sweats on and my weighted vest while going thru the lobby while they were on the way to town to eat lunch.

As time has moved on I have moved from taking one step forward and one back to taking three forward and one back. And now I am taking eight forward and one back.

I have also began to look forward to the folks that laugh at me and call me a dumbass and tend to ridicule me for my efforts. I know in my mind(weird as it is)that I am doing something good for me and also that those folks are really beating themselves up over their insecurities.And That my friends is sad.

One of the ways I have over come a lot of my "fear of failure" is by recognizing the fact that the fear of being morbidly obese and being reduced to living in a bed with some stranger wiping my ass for me is FAR GREATER than the fear I have had because it takes me six months to walk 3 miles at one time.

***Latter in the day*** We walked and we talked and we had a good time--2 1/2 miles Full Pak Trac!! Tuesday is a success.

Pearl of Wisdom from the mind of WEL
AMERICAN---say it with me!!! A MER I CAN !!!!

8 comments:

  1. This is your sister Kathy. Your post of yesterday (19th) brought tears to my eyes. I am inspired to try harder. God, I pray I don't fail. That is the last time I will mention fail! I too can remember going in the the gym at the YMCA a few years ago and being totally embarassed to work out. But I quickly found that there were lots of goons there that didn't know as much as I did about working out. And, there were some hater, has been iron pumpers that told me they just laughed at me and other people. I quit when I had to have knee surgery. I am on day two of a new program now. I have an ellipitcal at home and some free weights and I just have finished a workout on the elliptical at 6:15 am. I will try to do more tonight. Keep the humor coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day at a time, one step at a time, one ound at a time.

    Humor is a good thing on my fat loss road, laughing keeps me from crying.

    Thanks for the comment, I know you can succeed.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. QuiltBlue you can do anything that big guy can.
    Shock the socks off yourself and those who doubt you.
    Keep laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wear a weighted vest (The Walkvest-16#) during my power walks and while I’m cleaning the house. I can definitely feel the exertion difference and I know I am burning extra calories and adding to my workout. And because I am a small woman, the extra weighted workload helps me build bone density to avoid osteoporosis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, Thanks so much for the comment.I have several friends that now wear a weighted vest and they all see great benefits. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said Bill - we all have fears that keep us motivated!

    ReplyDelete