Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Windmill Mesa



Howdy from the land of tired feet and throbbing knees!!

I went to Van Horn ,Texas last week and we had a great time. We chased them dirty rotten Aoudad sheep around, we talked smart, we climbed mesa after mesa and generally had a good time.

I guided ole Joe all the way to the rimrock on Windmill Mesa to harvest a real nice ram.The climb was not too bad but the 1000 yard descent was a killer on my knees.All in all, I finally got to go places that I have not been able to go in 6 years of going to the Coal Mine Ranch.

I have put a couple of pics on this post. The top pic is my sheep this year. We walked about a mile on this stalk, over two ridges and down thru two creek beds.On the way out I estimate my pack weight was around 35 pounds. The second pic is from 2008. I was 90 pounds heavier then and if you look close we are only about 100 yards above the road close to the tunnel.I would add, that 100 yard climb in 2008 was a hellava lot harder than the mile stalk this year.

If my knees were pain free I could probably run them sheep down and put salt on their tails.

Today is another day in my journey.I have lots of work to do. I lots of lard to lose and lots of mesas to climb.

Let's move on down the road, you and me.Come on we can do it, I seen me do it.

Pearl of Wisdom from the mind of WEL
Before you die, make a bucket list and get to work on it.

5 comments:

  1. HOT DAMN what a sheep and what a hunt! I was there helping and it made the hunt for me! Love you Dad. - MEL

    ReplyDelete
  2. PLUS this years picture does not show how challenging that "mile in" and "mile out" really was! I would think 1,500 vertical feetof change with slide rock, cactus and the occasional snattle rake! The Coal Mine Ranch isn't a walk in the park people!- MEL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a bunch for being there it meant the world and all to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great adventure and impressing success story! Proud of you. KL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dat Gum big rack. Those rocky mountains look real unfriendly.
    Proud of you for more than just a successful hunt.
    The father and son sharing with respect & pride
    is priceless.
    Fat loss not half bad!!!!!
    Well done!!!
    lpl

    ReplyDelete