Thursday, March 11, 2010

My north star

Howdy from the land of Shiner beer and fine cowboy music!

I sure like good country music--cowboy songs in particular.In one of Red Steagall's CDs is a song about pointing your wagon tongue towards the north star.

Now this was an old trail drive technique. When making a cattle drive north to the rail the cook would point the wagon tongue towards the north star , in the evening. In this manner if it was cloudy in the morning, there would be no doubt which way north was. As the plains were wide open , with no landmarks, if one could not see where the sun rose and set it was easy to lose direction.

So as the song plays out the reference to pointing your wagon tongue toward your north star is used for guiding oneself thru the obstacles of life.In other words, having GOALS, something to shoot for,some direction or a sense of purpose.

A goal even one like mine , That keeps on moving around is better than just drifting along with no purpose. I sure am glad I have a North Star to point my wagon tongue toward.

Just remember:
My life has been a good one
My hair is turning grey
I've seen a lot of sunshine
But there has been some cloudy days

I suggest you find your North Star, you damn sure don't want to drift too far of course.My North Star---200 pounds, stronger,tighter,better balance. What is your NORTH STAR??

Pearl of Wisdom from the mind of WEL
You'll never lose direction
And you'll know just where you are
If you'll always point your
wagon tongue towards that ole North Star

2 comments:

  1. SOME FOLKS PAY BIG BUCKS FOR JUST SUCH COUNSEL.
    lIFE MAY NOT BE PERFECT BUT ANY ONE CAN FIND
    SOMETHING TO BE GRATEFUL FOR EACH DAY.
    You have done so well with this journey be grateful
    and give yourself credit for keeping your wagon tongue
    pointed in right direction.

    ReplyDelete