Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Happy Anniversary

Howdy from the land of ripe peaches and braised short ribs!

Well, it has been one year .Yep, one year ago I started down the road in my fat loss journey.It has been a great trip so far.I have learned so much and the time has flown by. I have quite a few more miles to go and yes there have been some detours and some pot holes.

The map I am using is mine to chose which turn to take and sometimes, bless my pea pickin heart I just go ahead and make the wrong turn. Now days though , when I make a wrong turn I just stop quicker than I used to would and turn around.I think this part of the journey has to be made. I can not escape the wrong turns. If I did not hit a pot hole ,it would be too easy.

My education has been extensive and widely varied while on my trip so far.I have learned
1.the energy equation
2.to move even when I don't feel like it
3.nothing, I mean nothing, worth doing is easy---worthwhile --yes --easy--no
4.I am addicted to sugar
5.the value of of a support group
6.that obesity transcends race,age,gender
7.I am worth the effort
8.the more I move the more I want to move
9.and a host of other things I can not quite get a handle on right now.

I am beginning to realize just how ingrained my eating habits were and still are. Growing up every function involved a meal. Every social occasion revolved around the food. My grandmother never had much money but she could always feed anyone coming to her home and feed them well. She took great pride in feeding people.Every trip was planned around where we would eat. These things still exist today.They are still important.Now I am challenged to manage these meals/events in a totally different manner ---if not I will fail.

I am also becoming much more aware that somewhere down the road I will come to the stop sign. When I do the real challenge will start. The real challenge will be to maintain my weight/BMI.The reason I think this will be more of a challenge than the actual fat loss trip is the goals will be ZERO.Weight gain--ZERO Weight loss--Zero. This is beginning to worry me. But hey, it is still down the road a good ways.

Today is the day to reflect. A year ago I weighed 305 pounds, I was at 45.0 BMI,I could not walk over a 1/4 mile without having to stop and catch my breath. I could not bend over to tie my shoes without putting my foot on something.I could not do one pushup.I could not fall asleep without having 1000mg of ibuprofen in me.I could not pass up a doughnut or 6.I had no desire to do anything.

Last Friday I weighted 225.0 , my BMI is 33.4. I can walk 3 1/2 miles at work during lunch and walk 30 minutes on the treadmill that night at home.I can tie my shoe by bending over.I can do 3 sets of 18 pushups.I don't have to take Advil to sleep and yes sports fans I can pass up a doughnut.I got all kinds of desires and ambitions.

Now I still want something sweet and yes I eat sweets sometimes but I am much better now than before with being able to cope with this addiction.

Yes today is a day to reflect.I shudder to think where I would be and where I would be headed if I had not read the article on Muata 15 months ago.Probably headed for a coronary bypass.

Today is not a day for goal setting that will come another day. Needless to say, the trip is not over.

Today is a day to thank those who have given me so much support.From the bottom of a country boy's heart ,I thank Janet, Tessa, Mac and all my family and friends that have offered words of encouragement. I can't thank Muata enough, he is the one that sparked a fire under my ass, he is the one that hollered go, he is the one one that brought back A MER I CAN.

On a day for my reflections I would offer one line of encouragement to anyone sitting on the fence.

Take a hold of your life,don't let your life take a hold of you.


Pearl of Wisdom from the mind of WEL
No body is prefect, everyone stumps their toe.

No comments:

Post a Comment