Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Roundy round

Howdy from the land of medical miracles and high fiber cauliflower!

Kelley is doing well and her chest goes up and down!What a wonderful blessing!For those that don't know, Kelley has had a Heartmate2 pump doing the work of her heart for 10 months.While this pump has kept her alive, she has no heart beat nor pulse. The first thing Darren told me after her surgery was "her chest goes up and down"!What a miracle.

We truly take for granted our heart beat and pulse.

On another topic:
I have a little bit of a hard time accepting advice from others at times. Yep I do, it comes from me thinking I know it all, but I guess I don't. Janet tells me I would be much better off if I just listened to her, she is probably right.Lately I have been listening to advice more and trying to thank folks that give me some that works for me.

Back around the first of the year Dr. J , over at the CalorieLab , suggested I try riding my bike to help with my knee pain. Well, I tried it and he was right.I started slow by riding 1 mile and doing a few BWE then riding another mile.The total the first few days was 2 miles a day. I also felt a little un-comfortable with my balance.This week I am riding 8 miles each day and doing some BWE on Tuesday and Thursday. My balance is way better as well as my comfort zone---not Lance Armstrong yet but much better.

While my knees continue to get worse, riding makes them feel much better during and for several hours afterwards.I still walk at lunch but I only wear my weighted vest once or twice a week.

The bike riding is also moving me slowly toward my fat loss goal at a steady pace.

So Thanks Dr.J !

Bottom line is , there is lots of good advice out there , seek it.There are many ways to lose fat as long as you remember the Energy Equation,try one until you find what works for you.

Work hard, eat well,move more and listen to a HEART BEAT.

Pearl of Wisdom form the Mind of WEL
Some folks hear voices, some see invisible people ---some have no imagination at all.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Bill,

    Good to know about the bike for the knee pain. My knee is starting to heal some so I'm considering doing the slow start too. Probably will use the bike on flat lands for a while before I put the knee under a load.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bill!! I really try to give decent advise that I base on personal experience or data I trust. Besides, bike riding was the go to choice of a statemate of yours after he had joint problems and he stays in shape..ex-president George W Bush! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, the bike has really helped me and my new othro surgeon is a personal friend of Lance Armstrong and really pushes it's use.
    Thanks for the note.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr.J,
    My Mother says ,all great great minds run on the same track---LOL

    Thanks for the help and advise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is way I still use the elliptical - I don't want that polyetholine (surely spelled wrong) in my knees to wear out any sooner that it has to. But I haven't been using it much lately. Lots of obstacles, like work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comment, I have no obstacles but ME.

    ReplyDelete