Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Eat like Grandpa

Great Balls of Fire, what a beautiful day we got going today!!!

Just got back from my 20 pound Full Pak Trak---with the Texas Walking Sticks. It was good, 75 degrees no wind. I walked like a man on a mission.

One of the people that greatly effected my life was my Grandpa (my mother's dad)and to Quote Red Steagall " I loved him more than life".He has been gone from us for two decades or so but I still think of him often. I still remember a lot of what he tried to teach me as a child.

One lesson I bet he never realized he was showing me and others was how to eat.But thinking about my fat loss journey I have realized he ate almost a perfect diet.I never saw him take what I would call a full plate of food.Most of the time when he sat down to a meal he could fit everything he had on a saucer. He took some of everything there was but not much of anything.About the time the dishes were done he would drift thru the kitchen and get about 3-4 bites of something.

He always ate a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast and a couple of pieces of bacon.I never saw him stuff himself or act like he had over eaten.He wanted fresh baked corn bread at every meal. He would only eat one piece but for an afternoon snack he would eat one with plenty of butter and molasses on it.

He rarely ate at a restaurant and a hamburger at the local Diary Treet was about as fast a food as he ever ate.He grew a huge garden and ate everything as fresh as God could make it.At a time when he was making a living selling vegetables, he would rather give some away than them go to waste.

Although I never saw him exercise, he worked at life with a vengeance doing farming,carpentry work and the like.I never realized just how solid he was until I had to pick him up.There was not one once of fat on him.

Sometimes I think I have been far too busy to recognize some of life's most important lessons.

Come with me , lets eat like Grandpa.

Pearl of Wisdom from the mind of WEL
It rains on the deserving and the un-deserving alike.

3 comments:

  1. :) you made me think about my grandpa, hes only been gone two years. He worked down the mines and was a firm believer in hard graft and eating locally sourced good wholesome foods :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart man, we forget what is important in our rush get where ever in the hell we want to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanne, thanks for your comment.My Grandpa would always tell me "You don't want to go all the way back to the Good Ole Days" "they were all that good".But I do think the lessons of work and nutrition are valuable.

    Why have we become a "have it now,fast food,fast life,fast fun world? Where in the hell are we trying to get to?

    Thanks again, travel with me, I need the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete