Monday, August 10, 2009

Possum move at night

Howdy from the land of possums and midnight wake ups!

Yep we got possums. We also got raccoons and armadillos in the yard.Seems everything wants to come to the yard at night because it is so dry. Hoppy the Lab does not like them varmints in his yard.He is getting more aggressive but has not learned to crunch them and go back to sleep yet, so I got to get up and dispose of the varmints.

Got in some work this weekend getting ready to put in some new windows in the house.I was able to get around 4-5 hours of work before I would give up because of the heat.My Caltrac showed I would use 6-700 calories during this time period and that would keep my total for the day around 3000 calories which is a good thing.

The difference between sitting at my desk all day and just doing some light work around the yard/house is amazing.Just by moving around and pulling some weeds or doing a little carpenter work can burn an additional 150 active calories an hour and that can really add up.It is no wonder 30 years ago that I ate so much. Back then I was working off the back of a welding truck for 8-12 hours a day. I bet back then I would burn 1500-2000 of active calories some days. Of course I probably still ate too much back then.

Anyway, I keep practicing and moving all I can . Hopefully the windows will be here Thursday and we get them in this weekend. And maybe no more possums will show this week and we can all get a full nights sleep.

Pearl of wisdom from the mind of WEL
A bumble bee is considerably faster than a John Deere tractor.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bill,

    It is amazing how movement burns calories. I used to sit on the couch and think up reasons not to work out... why I'd only burn a couple hundred calories - what was the difference?

    Now a days I find they all add up and count! Armadillos huh? We just have possum and raccoons here. :)

    ReplyDelete