Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Willpower??ME??

Howdy from the land of night blooming lilly pads and 40 yard archery targets!

Today one of the ladies in my office said I was the subject of conversation at lunch.A friend of hers was asking her if I had had gastric surgery.My co-worker said no, and explained that I had been eating right and exercising a great deal.She also said I had a lot of willpower and was listening to several people in the weight loss community on the world wide web.

After she told me the story, I said she was wrong about one point.That was her statement about me having a lot of willpower.I don't think I have more willpower than anyone else. Certainly, I don't have any more that I used to have. what I have now that I did not have two years ago is KNOWLEDGE.

Willpower does not burn calories, KNOWLEDGE does.
Willpower does not give you the facts nor de-bunk the truths in nutrition and fat loss, KNOWLEDGE does.
Willpower does not make a WISH come true, Knowledge will turn a WISH into an ACHIEVABLE QUEST.

Knowledge has led me down the path of no longer being conveniently ignorant.Before I started down this road, I could always fall back on ignorant myths ,like eating this or that makes you retain water, or eating this makes your fat melt. Or , I am fat because Grandma had the genes and passed them on. Or (I really love this one) I have always been big boned----HA!

Willpower I think is what one uses when trying to get over feeling deprived of something. Knowledge is what I use to explain to myself that I can eat a piece of cake that equals 300 calories (instead of 1000 calories) as long as I plan and compensate------what I call that is an EDUCATION and I got it by gaining some KNOWLEDGE.

So I think my coworker was off a little on the willpower thing, but hey it is nice to know someone is talking about me and not calling me an asshole.

Pearl of Wisdom from the mind of WEL
You have the rest of your life to solve your problems,how long you live depends on how well you solve them.

2 comments:

  1. Great points about knowledge. I've found that the will power starts with knowledge... sticking to your guns meaning making a plan and then following through to see if it actually works has helped me too.

    I like the "... how long you live depends on how well you solve them." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, the knowledge was key for me.

    ReplyDelete